By: Brian Gilleece
Lot's of great, brave people we're remembered this past weekend and it got me thinking, are there qualities that make all great people similar? Regardless of job, background, race, religion etc etc. Are there things ALL successful people do weather it in sports or business or creative. Turns out YUP, there is!
These are from a psychological study of 100 hyper successful people around the world...
THINGS AWESOME PEOPLE ALL DO:
1. The Do The Most: They do more than what's asked of them. They view their job descriptions as just the beginning of what they can do with their job. After they've completed their mandatory tasks, they will always ask to take on more projects that challenge them.
2. Sometimes They Suck: They are willing to fail in order to eventually succeed. All successful people know that it doesn't come easy and they are bound to fail more than they will succeed at anything. They are willing to learn from each failure, as it will help them make better decisions that lead to success later.
3. They Work For "Luck": They know that they make their own luck. Luck is derived from hard work over time and positioning yourself for success. You won't randomly get lucky and successful people know that. They will do at least one thing every single day to put themselves in a better position to get lucky and then use that luck to grow.
4. Goallllllllllllllll: They set real goals that they can accomplish. Successful people wake up and they've already planned their day, while unsuccessful people are scrambling to figure out what they need to do next. Their goals are very focused, big yet obtainable and are aligned to their strengths. They know what they are capable of and will invest all of their efforts in it, avoiding their weaknesses.
5. Count on me!: They take accountability for themselves and their actions. They aren't relying on other people in order to get the job done or to effect change in their life. Instead, they are looking inwards and are trying to find the solutions, while leveraging their current assets.
6. Excuse me, do you have change? They make change instead of being affected by it. Successful people aren't waiting around to be affected by economic trends. They are the ones who are creating the trends and making things happen.
7. Adjustable: They are able to adjust to changes in the marketplace. Successful people are willing to reinvent themselves to stay relevant. They understand that if you stay stagnant and ignore trends, that you will be left behind. They are constantly coming up with new ideas, searching for the next big thing and getting new skills.
8. They have an ECK!: They can communicate their story effectively. If you walk up to a successful person and ask them what they do, they will able to tell you everything in a concise manner. They know who they are, what they do and can make you believe in them. They have strong posture and are very persuasive and confident.
9. They play detective: They ask the right questions to the people who can deliver the right answers. Successful people know they need to solve problems by tapping their networks. They aren't afraid of emailing or calling the best person who can answer their questions.
10. They are never done: They are life-long learners who push themselves out of their comfort zones. While most people think that when they graduate college, they are finished being a student, successful people remain students. They are constantly learning new things and have new experiences.
11. I am who I am: They know who they are and their place in the world. Successful people are confident and can lead themselves, as well as others. They have their own vision and mission and seek to bring it to life on a daily basis. They also know who they aren't and don't waste time on things and people that aren't good or they aren't satisfied with.
12. It's about the Road Traveled: They are more excited about the journey than the pay out. Successful people ignore get rich quick schemes, or things that sound to good to be true. They are more focused on building sustainable careers through hard work, risk taking and creativity. They enjoy the journey, despite the obstacles, because they are doing something that has meaning in their lives.
13. They aren't cogs in the machine: They create instead of just consume. While most people are busy reading emails, watching TV or waiting in a fast food line successful people are creating and coming up with ideas. They are the ones who are making things that other people need instead of being on the other end of the spectrum, consuming them.
WRAP UP MAN: Maybe I'm weird, but I write these things because I find this type of thinking really interesting. It's interesting to see these words written out by someone you have never met before, from a study you did not know existed and INSTANTLY before your even done reading you begin to place people you know in the box of successful or un successful based on these traits, without even thinking. We're do you place yourself? Is there room for improvement? Where do you place those around you? Is there room for improvement? Do you have some of these traits? Have you congratulated your self on that if you do? Keep these ideologys swirling in your head, maybe just by knowing they are out there they will help you be that much better everyday...